Sunday, March 04, 2007

Intro:

I started this blog a sometime ago because I wanted to show people what it was like to be a young professional in with dyslexia. I was once big into reading and writing in the blogosphere, but because of the topics I chose to write on, I became bitter and mad at the world (politics and economics use to be my two favorite topics). Now that I have returned back to my love for writing - and found a new lease on life – I am starting two new blogs: this one and Intellect Inspiration (II) – which actually is an old one that I am recycling.

Intellect Inspiration will be a blog were I will write on my industry (query marketing and web analytics), while this blog will be a daily (or at least as much as I can) log on how I go through my professional and personal life…..with dyslexia.

My Background
My dad went to Purdue University, where he fell in love with Purdue Athletics. Since I could remember, my patents have had season tickets to Purdue Football and Basketball, and yes, I still mooch as many tickets off them as I possible can. Ever sense I was a kid (since at least since the 4th grade), I have always wanted to earn my degree from Purdue. Unfortunately, that was never to happen.

The short version of the story is that I didn’t have the tools I needed to overcome my disability (one of the few times you will hear me refer to my dyslexia as a disability) to make it at Purdue (I never was accepted because it was obvious to everyone but me that I had not mastered my dyslexia). I ended up going to the The College of Mount St. Joseph, where I was able to take part in the EXCEL program (one of the nations best college level LD programs). By the time I finally had the tools to turn my “disability” into one of my most dangerous strengths, I had invested too much time and money to transfer to Purdue (about to go into my junior year and I was going to have to add at least another year to whatever schooling I had left to transfer to Purdue).

I graduated from MSJ (the Mount) with a degree in Business Admin. After spending 30 minutes in Chicago, visiting a friend, I loved it so much that I moved. My parents where ecstatic; my girlfriend was understanding but less thrilled.

After a couple of employers, which I am sure that I will mention sometime, I landed a job at a query marketing firm (Resolution Media).

I will share more about me in later posts, but the main thing you need to know now is that 1) I don’t see my dyslexia as weakness; it’s a strength. I have a saying that I have: “Being dyslexic has its advantages. I do hard on a daily basses, so impossible is nothing more than an extra breath, and extra thought, and an extra step.” That is why I don’t mind writing about it….or sharing my stories. It’s what make me different.

2) I am writing this blog for my personal benefit…I enjoy writing. My grammar or spelling might not be perfect (if you see a mistake, please email me at Nathan@nathanjanitz.com), but I still enjoy the art. I love to share stories, even if it’s simply to myself. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing.

No comments: